To sites 32, 33, 34 and 35
Follow the U. S. Steel South Works site south to 91st and Avenue O (south to 83rd street - east to Green Bay - south to 86th Street - west to Burley - south to 89th Street - east to Avenue O - south to 91st Street)
Turn west (right) on 91st Street and proceed to Burley Avenue (This is a good opportunity to exit your car and walk this area)
|Female welders at South Works during WW II|
32) U. S. Steel South Works (continued)
The land is currently on the market awaiting buyers and future development. There have been various proposals to use the vacant land for residential, recreational, commercial, or industrial use. But there is a continuing concern about the environmental hazards that might exist because of its industrial history. Some chemistry students from Washington High School collected water and soil samples from land adjacent to the site. The soil tests did not show anything beyond normal range, but the water sample taken showed a high bacteria count. Since this was from a standing water site, this is not terribly surprising. The students were not able to obtain soil samples from the area within the former mill, so it is not possible to say if the site itself is viable and safe for recreational and residential use.
33) New Park (91st and Avenue O)
The South Chicago neighborhood, where green space is at a premium, is in line for a new 20-acre park, the largest built in the city in 20 years. The park is being built on mostly vacant land in an area bounded by 89th Street on the north, 91st Street on the south, Avenue O on the east and Mackinaw Avenue on the west. The property is adjacent to the nearly 600-acre site of the former U.S. Steel South Works, which the city wants to develop for business, light industry and residential uses, as well as park land. The park will feature a pair of baseball fields, three basketball courts, two playgrounds, three multipurpose fields and a walking and jogging path. Under the plan, vacant land and abandoned buildings were acquired by the city and turned over to the park district, which is developing the park.
34) Pilgrim Baptist Church (91st and Burley Avenue)
Ten members of the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church founded Pilgrim Baptist Church in 1917. In September 1946 the congragation bought Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Pilgrim is one of the oldest African American churches on the Southeast Side and was the location of a famous gospel music scene from the original Blues Brothers movie which was partially filmed on the Southeast side of Chicago.
35) Our Lady of Guadalupe (3200 East 91st Street)
In 1923 Rev. William Kane S.J. began to minister to the growing Mexican community in the South Chicago area. In 1924 the Claretian Fathers came to the district to staff the church, which is the oldest Mexican parish in the Chicago area. The church provides the site for the National Shrine of Saint Jude, the solemn novenas to Saint Jude, and the Saint Jude League for Catholic policemen. The current church was built in 1928, a classical revival building designed by architect James Burns. The parish opened an elementary school in 1948 and in a period which often sees Catholic elementary schools faced with declining enrollments and closings, Our Lady of Guadalupe School continues to grow and prosper.