St. Joseph Church
Photos: Top left - St. Joseph Church
Top right - Current Use of Church
Bottom left - Priest's Telescope
Bottom right - St. Joseph Rectory
St. Joseph Catholic Church is located
on 8801 Saginaw Ave. in South Chicago. It was established in 1900 by Fr.
Preza along Marquette Avenue. The majority of the parishioners were Lithuanian.
A new rectory was built for the priest and those who would help him. Reverend
Anthony Petraitis took it upon himself to teach the children their
catechism, because there was no school attached to that parish. Also on
the land between the church and the rectory Fr. Petraitis built a miniature
animal life sanctuary, where peacocks would strut their stuff, birds would
sing their hearts out, monkeys would play in the trees , and children would
learn "of the greatness of God". In 1931 Fr. Urba decided to add
a school to the church, which was a two room complex that would house four
grades in each room. In 1949 the construction of the "new church"
began, and the modern school began construction in 1953. Also in 1955 the
interior renovation of the rectory was done.
Click on the links at the left to tour
South Chicago Churches.