Substance abuse prevention
- 33% of all college students and more than 60% of those who binge
drink report driving under the influence.
- 30% report they were involved in accidents or fights while under the
- About 10% of college drinkers and a much higher percentage of binge
drinkers will go on to become alcoholics as their drinking continues
through the years. For them college binge drinking is early stage
alcoholism. More than 24,000 current college students will eventually
die from alcohol related problems.
- Binge drinking and sexual assault are related:
In 90% of campus rapes, victim, assailant or both have been drinking.
Approximately 60% of sexually transmitted diseases were associated
- There is an association between increased drinking and lower academic
performance and attrition.
Copied with permission from Dr. Ron Glick, Sociology Dept., NEIU
Check to see our group assignment for the
substance abuse prevention presentation...
to Dr. Caftori's page(non-graphic).
to Dr. Caftori's page(graphic).
to CS-100 page(graphic).
Last changed on 11/14/99.