Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
2009 - Present Professor of Chemistry, Northeastern Illinois University
1994 - Present Chemistry Computer Lab Founder & Director, Northeastern Illinois University
2006 - 2008 Coordinator of the Chemistry Department, Northeastern Illinois University
1996 - 2008 Associate Professor of Chemistry, Northeastern Illinois University
1991 - 1996 Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Northeastern Illinois University
1989 - 1991 Adjunct Professor of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago
1987 - 1989 Adjunct Professor of Chemistry, Loyola University at Chicago
1984 - 1987 Post Doctorate, University of Chicago
1979 - 1984 Ph.D Chemistry, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
1974 - 1978 B.Sc. Chemisty, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
- Selected Publications
- Ngan Tran, Thach Nguyen and Ana Fraiman: A case study in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Laboratory using Mastery Learning Model. (In preparation)
- Veronica Curtis-Palmer and Ana Fraiman; Biodiesel: A CASPiE Module. https://stemedhub.org/tags/caspie. May 2012
- The CASPiE Module was peer reviewed by CASPiE PI and coPI. The Module has been successfully implemented at many Universities around the country including, Perdue University, University of Illinois at Chicago and Northeastern Illinois University.
- Ana Fraiman: Collaborative Reflections with Web 2.0. Proceedings of ICERI2011 (International Conference in Education Research and Innovations). November 2011
- Ana Fraiman: The impact of Using Chem-Wiki (Web 2.0 technology) on student learning. Proceedings of ICERI2010. November 2010
- John Dao, Mary Caffero and Ana Fraiman: Chem-Wiki: Increasing Collaboration through Online Lab Reporting using Web 2.0 technology. Proceedings of ICERI2009 Conference. November 2009
- Edward W. Elliot III and Ana Fraiman: Chem-Wiki : Increase collaboration Through Online Lab Reporting. Journal of Chemical Education, Vol 87, pp 54-56. 2010
- Five citations were made to this article
- Gregory T. Jenkinson and Ana Fraiman: A Multimedia Approach to Lab Reporting via Computer Presentation Software. Journal of Chemical Education, Vol 76, pp 283-284. 1999
- Selected Presentations at International Meetings
- Collaborative Reflection with Web 2.0. Ana Fraiman ICERI2011 (International Conference in Education Research and Innovations) November 16-19, 2011 Madrid, Spain
- Session chair: Technology in Teaching and Learning: Web 2.0 and Social Networking ICERI2011, Madrid, Spain
- The impact of Using Chem-Wiki (Web 2.0 technology) on student learning. Ana Fraiman ICERI2010 (International Conference in Education Research and Innovations) November 15-17, 2010 Madrid, Spain
- Session chair: Assessment of Student Learning. ICERI2010, Madrid, Spain
- Chem-Wiki Increase Collaboration through Online Lab Reporting Using Web 2.0 Technology. John Dao, Mary Caffero and Ana Fraiman. ICERI2009 November 16-18, 2009 Madrid, Spain
- Session chair: Technologies and Methodologies applied to Education and Research ICERI2009, Madrid, Spain
- Selected Presentations at National Meetings
- Mastery Learning Model: New Approach to Undergraduate Chemistry Laboratory. N. Tran, T. Nguyen, A. Fraiman. BCCE2012 (Biennial Conferences on Chemical Education at Pennsylvanie State University) July 29 - August 2, 2012
- Building a Bridge Between an HSI and a Land Grant Institution.
Ricardo Diaz, Ana Fraiman, Pamela Geddes, and Maria Villamil.
Workshop at Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU). October 30, 2011, San Antonio, Texas
- Microwave-assisted Diels-Alder reactions in water medium catalyzed by zinc (II) chloride, a water-compatible Lewis acid. Malgorzata Gawedzka and Ana Fraiman. Denkewalter Lecture in Chemistry and Medicine, Poster Session, Loyola University, October, 2010, Chicago, Illinois
- Assessing Collaboration Through Online Reporting Using Wikispaces, Sarah Vorpahl ,Poster Session, SACNAS, October 2010, Anaheim, CA
- Assessing the effectiveness of Ionic Liquids in Organic Chemistry Synthesis. Malgorzata Gawedzka and Ana Fraiman. 21st Annual Illinois Student Research Conference, Chicago State University, April 2010, Chicago, Illinois
- Assessing collaboration through online reporting using Wikispaces. Sarah Vorpahl, Ana Fraiman, Mary Caffero, and Illona Goykhman. 21st BCCE, August, 2010, Denton, Texas
- Latinos in Science Panel. Ana Fraiman (NEIU) and Vladimiro Mujica (NU). March 2009, Chicago, Illinois
- The Chem-Wiki Project: Increasing Student Collaboration through Online Lab Reporting. Edward Elliott III, Dr. Ana Fraiman. Technology in Education Conference, April13, 2008, Ontario, CA.
- Implementing New Pedagogies: Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL). Implemented in Lecture and Introduction of the Model into the Laboratory Component at NEIU. Ana Fraiman and Veronica Curtis-Palmer, First Year International Conference, May 30, 2007, Boulder, CO.
- CASPiE Experience at Northeastern Illinois University, Ana Fraiman, Veronica Curtis-Palmer, 233rd ACS National Meeting, March 25, 2007, Chicago, IL.
- CASPiE Experience at NEIU. Poster Presentation Veronica Curtis-Palmer and Ana Fraiman NSF site visit November 30, 2007. UIC, Chicago, IL
- ACS exam measures of the impact of PLTL, J.A. Kampmeier, A. Fraiman, D.J. Malik, 232 ACS National Meeting, September 10, 2006, San Francisco, CA.
- Research in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Laboratory, A. Fraiman, V. Curtis-Palmer, Z. Rouse, ACS National Meeting, September 10-14, 2006, San Francisco, CA.
- Research in Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Laboratory, A. Fraiman, V. Curtis-Palmer, Z. Rouse,19th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, July 30, 2006, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- Virtual Laboratory Reports. Ana Fraiman, Peter Tessalee, 18th BCCE, July 2004, Iowa State University, IA.
- An Interdisciplinary Team Approach to Improving Students' Learning, Karen Bartels, Veronica Curtis-Palmer, Richard Delzenero, Ana Fraiman, and David Rutschman, Northeastern Illinois University, Sixth Annual Symposium Series on Excellence in Teaching Mathematics and Science: Research and Practice, February 13, 2004—Illinois Institute Technology, Chicago, IL.
- Implementation of PLTL at NEIU in Organic Chemistry. Ana Fraiman and Veronica Curtis-Palmer, 2003 PLTL National Leadership Conference, October 23, New York City, NY.
- Implementing new pedagogies in Sophomore Organic Chemistry at Northeastern Illinois University. Ana Fraiman. 35th Great Lakes Regional ACS Meeting, May 31, 2003 Chicago, IL.
- Implementation of PLTL in Sophomore Chemistry at NEIU. Yoriel Marcano, Annette Velez and Ana Fraiman. 35th Great Lakes Regional ACS Meeting, May 31, 2003 Chicago, IL.
- Implementation of PLTL in Sophomore Organic Chemistry at Northeastern Illinois University (Poster Session). Yoriel Marcano, Annette Velez and Ana Fraiman. 225th National Meeting American Chemical Society, March 23, 2003, New Orleans, LA
- Selected Presentations at NEIU
- A Fresh Approach to Undergraduate Chemistry Laboratory Using Mastery Learning Model. Ngan Tran, Thach Nguyen, and Ana Fraiman. NEIU 20th Annual Student Research and Creative Activities Symposium. April 2012.
- Moodlerooms: Collaborative and Educational Gains. John Dao and Ana Fraiman, April 2011
- Chem-wiki at NEIU: Increasing collaboration through online Lab reporting. Mary T Caffero and Ana Fraiman, April 2010.
- Introducing e-course management system NOC module for data collaboration (Poster Session). Liweza Yalda and Ana Fraiman, April 2010.
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Ionic Liquids in Organic Chemistry Synthesis (Poster Session). Malgorzata Gawedzka and Ana Fraiman, April 2010.
- The Chem-Wiki Project; Increasing Student Collaboration through Online Lab Reporting. Edward Elliott III, Dr. Ana Fraiman. NEIU 16th Annual Student Research and Creative Activities Symposium. April 20, 2008.
- Quantum Chemical Analysis of the Diels-Alder Reactions using Gaussian 03. Michael Cline, Paulo Acioli, Sudha Srinivas, Ana Fraiman, NEIU 15th annual student research and creative activities Symposium. April 24, 2007.
- Web-based multi dimensional Organic I Lab (Poster Session). Radu Purtuc, Edward Elliott, Ana Fraiman, NEIU 15th annual student research and creative activities Symposium. April 24, 2007.
- Peer Led Team Learning (PLTL) in Organic Chemistry Laboratory. David J. Benjaih, Rafal Krejza, Sayed M. Ali and Ana Fraiman. NEIU 14th annual student research and creative activities Symposium. April 21, 2006.
- Is Hammett Principle applicable to ring opening metathesis polymerization with Grubbs Catalyst? Peter Jurisch and Ana Fraiman. Tenth NEIU Annual Student Research and Creative Activities Symposia, April 5, 2002.
- Selected Grants
- Collaboration and Retention through Environmental and Agricultural Research. Awarded 2010; Nancy Wrinkle, Ana Fraiman, Pamela Geddes, Jean Hemzacek, and Laura Sanders
- Peer Led Team Learning Seminars. Awarded 2009; Nancy Wrinkle and Ana Fraiman
- Computation in the Physical Sciences: State of the Art Molecular Modeling. A research community of Faculty and Students. Awarded 2006; Sudha Srinivas; Paolo Acioli and Ana Fraiman
- Center for Authentic Science Practice in Education Gabriela Weaver, Pratibha Varma Nelson and Donald Wink. Awarded 2004; Ana Fraiman and Veronica Curtis-Palmer coordinate the implementation in Organic Chemistry and write a Research Module. (Below in publications)
- Conceptual Understanding of Organic Chemistry Through The Use of Modern Visualization Assessment of New Tools. Awarded 2003; Joseph J. Grabowski, Ghislain Deslongchamps, Christian Schunn, Maija Aksela, Ana Fraiman and Vesna Ferk.
- Coach workshop application. “Coaching strong women in the Art of Strategic Persuasion” Awarded 2003
- Incorporation of PLTL (peer led team learning) into Organic Chemistry. Awarded 2002; Ana Fraiman and Veronica Curtis-Palmer
- Selected Professional Development
- American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U) General Education Institute; June 4-9, 2010, Burlington, VT
- Coaching and Feedback BCCE; August 2012, Penn State University
- Alternate (online) participant in ChemEd DL/ChemEd Research Summit; July 11-15 2011
- Online Teaching Course 2; May 22- June 14, 2012
- Online Teaching Course 1; January 2012
- Sabbatical: University of Illinois in Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. I am currently focusing on tools to assess effectives of multimedia format for collaboration; Fall 2008
- Sabbatical: Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel. During this sabbatical I studied molecular modeling in Chemistry. Following this sabbatical I improved a course in computational chemistry for Northeastern Illinois University (see course materials); Spring 1999
- The Future of E-Learning; April 9, 2008, NEIU
- Using Multiple Methods to Assess and Improve Problem Solving; October 9, 2007, UIC
- CASPiE PLTL Workshop; January 12, 2007, UIC
- Anasazi Workshop; April 13, 2007, Chicago, IL
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics and Science: Research and Practice Symposium; February 13, 2004, March 12, 2004, and May 13, 2002, UIC
- Gordon Conference, Chemistry Education Research & Practice; January 4 – January 9, 2004, Ventura, CA
- COACH workshop, “Coaching Strong Women in the Art of Strategic Persuasion”; March 22, 2003, New Orleans, LA
- Gordon Conference, Visualization in Science and Education; July 20 – July 25, 2003, Oxford, UK
- Richard Felder- Rebecca Brent Workshop, Active and Cooperative Learning Workshop; September 12 – 13, 2003, NEIU
- NASA Team, Infusing Space Science into a Science Core Curriculum through a Community of Scholars; January 2001 through December 2004 (Grant extended until 2004), NEIU
- Revitalizing Teaching; October 25, 2002, Chicago, IL
- NSF Short Courses for College Teachers, “Peer Led Team Learning: The Workshop Model”; May 20 – 22, 2002, Pasadena, CA
- Learning Communities Conference, “Beyond 2001: The Odyssey of Inclusion”; November 7 – 9, 2001, Palatine, IL
- NSF Short Courses for College Teachers, “Interdisciplinary Team-Building: Experiential Processes”; June 27 – 29, 2001, University of Washington
- Techniques of GC/MS; May 8 – 11, 2000, Wood Dale, IL
- Excellence Award: Recipient 1996 & 2009
- Selected Workshops Conducted
- CTL Faculty Workshops: Social Networking in the Classroom. Thomas Tobin, CTL and Ana Fraiman, Chemistry; March 3, 2012, NEIU
- NETT Day: Chemistry Lab Reporting and Collaboration Using a Wiki. Ana Fraiman, Chemistry. October 28, 2010, NEIU
- PLTL: A workshop for faculty in the STEM disciplines; May 18, 2009, NEIU
- PLTL: A student-faculty partnership for transforming the learning environment; 19th Biennial Conference in Chemical Education (BCCE), July 30, 2006, Purdue, IN
- 1st Student Workshop on Molecular Modeling; November 2, 2006, NEIU
- Peer-Led Team Learning Leadership Conference: The Workshop Project; Facilitated the various directions Peer-Led Team Learning on October 8 – 10, 2004, Chicago, IL
- Workshop on Peer-Led Team Learning; July 19, 2004, Iowa, IA
- Presenter at MID workshop; March 7 – 8, 2003, Chicago, IL
- ITT Technical Institute, Faculty In-Service; November 25, 2002, Mt Prospect, IL
- Selected Additional Information
- Member of the Steering committee of the Task Force for General Education
- Excellence award presented by Northeastern Illinois University 1997, 2010.
- Selected Reviewer
- International Advisory Board at the International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies; Barcelona, Spain
- Selected Memberships
- ACS American Chemical Society
- ICUC The international center for first year undergraduate chemical education.
- AAAS American Assoication for the Advancement of Science